Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Warfare...of the Spiritual Kind

This past Saturday night I was getting ready to watch Twilight: New Moon with my hubs and a friend.  I hadn't seen it before, but we had it to watch on DVD.  Just before watching the movie I happened to call my mother and hear about a loved one who was really struggling emotionally with some very serious things...even though he is still just a young teen.  My heart filled with sadness for this young man that I love so much, but was going through some very tough things for his tender age.

I couldn't help but envision a spiritual battle waging war against this teen boy.  The "good guys" (aka God!) was battling for the goodness, hope, love, faith and peace for this young man.  But the "bad guys" (aka Satan) were attempting to shield this boy from truth and instead fill him with despair, hopelessness, darkness. 

Watching "New Moon"  I saw a similar battle play out.  Now, I don't believe that the writer and/or producer of New Moon intended there to be an underlying theme of spiritual warfare.  As I watched the movie I was thinking of spiritual warfare nonetheless and many of the scenes where the wolves were battling with the vampires illustrated the reality of spiritual warfare.  Like I said, it isn't a perfect illustration, because I couldn't really equate God to either the werewolves OR the vampires.  But the image of the battle is the same nonetheless.  



Satan is out to wage war for our souls.  But if we have put our trust in Christ, we have an army fighting on our behalf.  I believe the young man I spoke of above has put his faith in Christ personally...though he is under attack right now.  The battle is being waged even if he doesn't feel the energy to fight.  We know what Satan's purposes is in this battle, and what God's divine purposes are.  But don't take my word for it...see what God's Word, the Bible, has to say about it:

John 10:10

10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

2 Corinthians 10:3-4

3For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 

Ephesians 6:10-20

The Armor of God
 10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Romans 8:37-39

37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

This site and this one helped me gather the verses above to share with you.
  

Who do you have leading your army?  
What is in your arsenal of defense in this unseen and often ignored battle? 


1 comment:

  1. Good post Holly.

    I do pray that the young man finds his way through this. God's love is absolute and if we love someone, how much more does God love them.

    This knowledge has always helped me through the rough patches in my family. I know how intense my love is yet God's is infinitely perfect and he wants even more for each one of us than we can imagine.

    I have a little phrase ringing in my ears.

    Praise Changes The Atmosphere.

    It's the title of a worship song by Joshua Mills and so true.

    Blessings and keep holding your hands up for your loved one.

    ReplyDelete