Tuesday, May 11, 2010

C25K & The Race for the Cure!

I started off the day on Mother's Day by waking up at 6:00 am...something I don't do most days.  By 7 AM I was standing with my friends in the parking lot of the Mall of America, getting ready to do some warm-ups before the official 5K start, which would happen at 7:30.

Remember when I mentioned on Twitter that my goal was to NOT be the last person across the finish line?

Clearly I had never been to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K race before.  There were nearly 8,000 runners!  Needless to say, I wasn't the last person to cross the finish line.  :)

In fact, I did much better during the race than I have done during my personal training runs in the weeks leading up to the event!  Minus the fact that it took us about a half mile of walking before we could actually run (because of traffic jam in front of us caused by thousands of people!), once I did start running I felt strong and capable.  I ran for longer time frames and distances that I had been doing during my personal training.  I think it may have had something to do with the motivation I got from the cheerleaders on every corner, bands and drum corps making music every other block, the cheering crowd lining the streets and the 7,999 other people running along with me!

I remembered to bring my camera, but neglected to check its battery level.  It ran out of juice before I could snap any pictures with it.  I have some cute ones on my phone, but I have no idea how to get them from my phone to the computer.  Project for another day.

But once I got home that day I did snap a picture with my computer.  Wish I could have had my four friends that did the race with me in it!  Camraderie is GREAT!

And...I've been bitten by the bug.  Next I'll be looking up other 5K's I can participate in this year!

Thanks for the encouragement & support!  First ever 5K was AWESOME!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly! I stumbled across your guest book entry on Lisa's Caring Bridge site today and thought I would check out your blog. Sounds like you're well on your way to a successful "21 days"! I can relate to some of your struggle (and to feeling un-sexy) right now as I try to shed the remainder of the 50 pounds I gained during my pregnancy (wearing maternity pants 2 months after giving birth, is not my idea of fun...or sexy). My husband and I have been working out together daily. It really does help to have a support system. I look forward to following your journey!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete