Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Menu Plan: April 26-May 2



I told you on Monday that I'd be posting my menu plan on Tuesday.  But here I am, at 12:19 am on Wednesday actually typing it in.  Aaah...sorry for 'standing you up'!  But I made an amazing healthified (and gluten free!) sesame chicken recipe tonight...so when you link to it below and then make it yourself and taste the goodness, you'll totally forgive me.

Also I told you yesterday about how I've been thinking about taking our household 'diet' (meaning food consumption, not 'trying to lose weight' kind of diet) to another level.  Several months ago we basically wiped out red meat from our diets.  Can't remember the last time I bought red meat.  And I don't miss it at all.  But then, as I was making this menu plan, I remember I found myself thinking "oh, I put down a chicken based dish for two days in a row, so I better swap one out with a turkey or fish based dish instead."  So I found myself searching for good turkey/chicken/fish recipes and finally realized that hey, it's OKAY if I throw a non-meat based dish into the menu plan here and there!  Silly me.  THEN the thought process took me a step further.  I often think about how people ate WAY BACK WHEN.  I really believe God set mankind up with everything we'd need for food...BEFORE electricity...BEFORE the invention of things like high fructose corn syrup, or techniques like bleaching various grains to make them *look* better...even before guns allowed us to hunt and kill meat easier!  Which means that way back when, mankind subsisted mostly off of a plant-based diet.  Fruits, veggies, nuts, and whole grains.  No, I'm not becoming a vegetarian...though I see the value of a vegetarian diet.  But I do want to make our food consumption be much more reflective of the "food pyramid" of mankind from many years ago.  So instead of feeling pressured to have a meat based meal one or two times a day, I'll focus more on having meat 3-5 times per week.

Of course all that epiphany came after I made the menu plan for this week...so this one is still pretty 'meat heavy'.  But before I make out my next menu plan, I will be taking a look at THIS website that Kia from Mamavation pointed me to.  It is chock full of recipes for all meals, snacks...even dessert!  

Here's the menu plan for this week:

Monday, April 26th
B-fast:  Make Your Own (choose from yogurt, cereal, fruit, toast)
Lunch:  Turkey Sandwiches & Veggie Chips (though my hubby & his friends ate all the veggie chips, so we had the sandwiches with Annie's Whole Grain Bunny Crackers instead)
Dinner:  Turkey Tetrazzini

Tuesday, April 27th
B-fast:  Eggs & Canadian Bacon
Lunch:  Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini
(PS - make the chix with agave nectar instead of sugar and it turned out GREAT)

Wednesday, April 28th
B-fast:  Oatmeal
Lunch:  Grilled Cheese Sandwiches & Veggies

Thursday, April 29th
Lunch:  Chipotle & Black Bean Quesadillas
Dinner:  Chicken & Asparagus Casserole

Friday, April 30th
B-fast:  Healthy Pancakes
Lunch:  Tuna Salad Sandwiches
Dinner:  Homemade Pizzas

Saturday, May 1st
B-fast:  Eggs & Bacon
Lunch:  Bean & Cheese Burritos
Dinner:  Sloppy Joes

Sunday, May 2nd
B-fast:  Make Your Own (choose from yogurt, cereal, fruit & toast)
Lunch:  Leftovers Lunch
Dinner:  Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole


1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to move towards vegetarian meals a couple days a week too...but find myself a bit intimidated by beans, of all things! I know I can make chili with them or bean soup, but need some creative ways to make other meals out of them too. Will be checking out that site you mentioned via Momavation. Thanks, Hol.

    ReplyDelete