Thursday, March 4, 2010

If it is there...

...I will eat it!

On Saturday at the PFG/FPFG get-together, I was chatting with Cheryl & Heidi and we were discussing how the problem is no longer resisting buying the bad stuff at the grocery store, gas station or drive thru.  But the weakness is if someone (as in visitors, husband, kids, etc.) bring the bad stuff into the house.  Remember the M&M's episode?  I didn't buy those or bring them home.  Neither did my husband (thanks honey!).


Chocolate invaded my house again yesterday.  Friends came over last night...and one of them brought a bag of chocolates.  You know, the mini-candy bars...Hershey/Mr. Goodbar/Special Dark.  This one also had Hershey's Kisses and bite size Reeses inside too.  Argh.

So I said to myself, I can have 3 pieces.  3!  I picked out 3 bite size Reeses and savored them.  Man they were tasty.

But then the bag got passed my direction again.  I took three more.  This was not part of the deal.  Ate them anyway.  Bag came back down the row again...and then settled on the table literally right in front of me.  I tried to ignore it and watch the move (Time Traveler's Wife) but that darn bag of chocolates was whispering sweet nothings into my ear.  Okay, just two more.  And two more.  And two more.

Thankfully, after the movie was done and our friends left, my husband - under the guise of cleaning off the table (though I was onto him...he had seen that I was dipping into the chocolate too often and was getting it away from me all covert-like...) took the bag of chocolates and some other things into the kitchen.  Now I don't know where the bag of chocolates are, and I'm not gonna ask.  Hopefully they've been stuffed down deep into the garbage can.  But knowing my husband, that is probably not true.  He loves him some chocolate too!

But speaking of stuffing uneaten goodies into the garbage...back to the conversation Heidi and I had on Saturday.  She was telling me that she read somewhere that out of people who threw something in the garbage to avoid eating it (ie - tossing the rest of the bag of chocolates into the garbage), 79% admitted to going back and digging the item out of the garbage and still eating it!!!  What do you think about that?  I have never dug food that I intentionally threw away to avoid eating out of the garbage again...but honestly, the reason for that is because the times when I've tossed it, I have stuffed it deep within the garbage can so it is well entrenched in the muck and mire of decaying refuse.  If I tossed it on top, where it is still in the bag and fairly untouched by ickiness I truly believe I probably would be one of those 79% who retrieved their former garbage to consume. 

SOoooo...since I can't exactly put a "Do Not Bring Chocolate Into This House" sign on my front door (or can I?), I really need to work on ridding myself of that mentality of "If it is in the house, I will eat it".  I don't have to eat it.  I can resist it.  I can remind myself that there is nothing good or beneficial in consuming it.  I can remind myself that it wouldn't be going backwards in so many weight loss goals I've already achieved.  I can resist.

Seriously...I used to buy myself a 'treat' nearly every time I went to the grocery store.  Often I would bypass the 'pay at the pump' feature at the gas station just so I could go inside and get some goody to eat.  I haven't done that now in over two months.  I don't need a treat at the store, gas station or elsewhere.  Rarely am I even tempted by it anymore.  I can and did overcome that weakness.  I believe I can and will overcome the weakness of "if it is in the house..."  But I just need to do it now.  The chocolate binges will not help me reach my goals!

Here's to A New Day with New Focus!!!


damn chocolate. i hate strongly dislike (but secretly love) you.

3 comments:

  1. OMG...I can't agree with you more. Food taunts me, and all of a sudden I can't ignore it. I have to figure out a way to. I don't think skinny people hear food talking to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly where you come from. See my post today about the Munchie Monster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... That last paragraph I can COMPLETELY relate to. Infact I had "confessed" to Donovan that very thing just a few weeks ago! My big secret...that wasn't so secret with my increasing size... Kimberly H.

    ReplyDelete