Child hunger...it exists right here in the United States. In fact, nearly 1 in 4 children in the USA struggles with hunger. Over 12.6 million children. That is quite a statistic. But that number can be reduced...even eliminated altogether!
I was approached by Molly from The Snyder 5 with an opportunity to be a part of a local Minnesota Bloggers event to help Feeding America and ConAgra Foods work to reduce and eliminate the issue of child hunger in the United States. Even though Minnesota has a lower level of children in poverty (12% as compared to the national average of 18%), that number is not zero. I wish it was!
ConAgra Foods, in collaboration with Feeding America has launched a campaign to both help raise awareness of the problem of child hunger within the United States. It is encouraging individuals, families, groups, organizations and companies to get in on helping children who struggle with hunger. Not on a national or grand scope...but right where you are...in your neighborhood, your community, with your friends and family.
I will be participating with Molly (@MollyInMinn) in a HUGE Rummage Sale she will be organizing on May 22nd in St. Paul. All proceeds will go to the Child Hunger Ends Here campaign. It'll be a great place to come and shop! Perhaps you have items to sell you'd like to donate to the cause? More information coming soon, check out The Snyder 5 for more details!
As a family we wanted to do something to help raise awareness and support for the Child Hunger Ends Here campaign too! That desire, combined with children who want to show off their hard work creating works of art and learning to play instruments birthed the idea for us to have a "Dressel Kids' Art & Talent Show" for our friends and family. We'll be hosting the event on Saturday, May 1st and asking attendees to either bring non-perishable food or monetary donations as their 'entrance fee'. Food donations will go to the local Second Harvest Heartland food shelf, which partners with Feeding America. Donations will go to the ConAgra/Feeding America program to end child hunger.
If you would like to come to our Art & Talent Show to benefit child hunger, send me an e-mail at holly(at)bloggymama(dot)com for more info.
If you are interested in doing your own event to help raise awareness, food and funds for this child hunger campaign, contact Molly at The Snyder 5.
There are several other Minnesota bloggers that have signed on to do their own events and/or assist with the huge Rummage Sale in late May. I call them my "Local End Child Hunger Bloggy Buddies" - you can find them in my sidebar, but here is a shout out to them all here too:
1. Me (@bloggymama)
2. Suzi from Pink Vanilla Cupcakes, @suzi_mn
3. Jen from The Recovering Procrastinator, @jenwestpfahl
4. Jo from MinnesotaJoY, @MinnesotaJoY
5. Carrie from 4 The Love of Family, @4mamabear
6. Laura from Mallory's Mishmash World, @lauraashmore
7. Darcie from Gust Gab, @darciegust
8. Missy from The Marketing Mama, @marketingmamamn
9. Angela from Angela's Kitchen
10. Christie from Mommy Drinks Because You Cry
11. Elizabeth from Random Thoughts from my ADD Brain, @meharty
12. Molly from The Snyder 5, @MollyinMinn
13. Liz from Kitchen Pantry Scientist, @KitchPantrySci
14. Jennifer from Unplanned Cooking, @unplannedcooking
15. Amanda from I Am Mommy, @manda2177
16. Cindy from Meet Cindy Elizabeth, @cindyelizabeth
17. Liz from Random Thoughts of a Lutheran, @lutherliz
18. Angie from Fumbling Toward Family, @angelalindell
This post is linked up to The Snyder 5's Child Hunger Ends Here Blog Hop.