Saturday, March 6, 2010

Brunchie Yummies!

We had some 'new' friends coming over for brunch this morning.  I say new in quotes because the family that came over became connected to us when I 'met' these friends online through some common connections (her husband is from Colombia...my kids are adopted from Colombia)...but through e-mails we realized that she had actually gone to school from K-12 with my husband.  Small world, huh?

Getting together was a long time coming...but we finally got it scheduled!  We decided to do brunch b/c then we could spend a few hours together before little ones needed to go down for naptime.

In my 'past life' (aka-my eat-anything-I-want life...) I would have made an egg bake, bought a tube of cinnamon rolls and baked those up, had pancakes and french toast and all sorts of carb based fare.  So I set out to come up with 2 or 3 healthified items to serve for brunch.


This was the menu:

Blueberry Coffeecake
Deviled Eggs
Chicken Salad w/Whole Wheat Pitas
Fruit
Lemonade
Coffee

Holy Yum-ness Batman!

So here were the new or "healthified" recipes:

BLUEBERRY COFFEECAKE

I've had a large bag of frozen blueberries in my freezer for a long time.  They are a superfood!  And they are tasty.  AND they make me think of summer, which is nice in these last days of a LONG winter!  So I've been looking for things to use them in.  Blueberry pancakes have made an appearance at the house, and then I saw a recipe for Blueberry Coffeecake and was so excited!

That is, until I started to get out the ingredients for the recipe.  It called for buttermilk and I didn't have buttermilk.  I knew there was a way for me to make buttermilk if I had regular milk, but I'm not a savvy enough 'cooker' to throw something like that together.  SO enter Google.  I googled 'healthy blueberry coffeecake recipe'.  After scanning a few I found this one.  No refined sugar added (yay!), but it was all white flour...so I had to modify with some whole wheat flour (if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you gotta know that I modify pretty much EVERY recipe!).  So the following was modified from this recipe.





Blueberry Topping:

2 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen - if frozen, do NOT thaw)
1 T. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. honey
2 T. fresh lemon juice (literally squeezed it out of the lemons...watch out for seeds!)


Coffeecake:

1 c. Bread Flour
1/2 c. Whole Wheat Flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 c. honey
2 eggs
1/4 c. + 1 T. skim milk
2 T. fresh lemon juice (again, right out of the lemons!)
2 t. vanilla
1/4 c. butter (I used I Can't Believe It's NOT Butter)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 inch round cake pan (bottom and sides).  Put blueberries and 1 T. whole wheat flour into the pan and toss to mix evenly.  Drizzle with lemon juice and honey, then set aside.

In a small bowl, combine bread flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  In a separate medium bowl mix honey, eggs, milk, lemon juice and vanilla...mix well.  Then add the melted butter and mix well.

Pour batter over the blueberries in the pan, making sure than all blueberries are covered by the batter.  Cook for 35 minutes.  Verify doneness with a toothpick.  If not quite done, put back in the oven for 3-5 minutes and check again.

Once done allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.  Then slide a butter knife around the edge of the cake to help separate it from the pan.  Invert the pan onto a plate.  Serve the coffeecake while still warm (though it tastes just fine after it has cooled too).


(I'd imagine this recipe would work great as individual cupcakes too...just mix the topping ingredients together in a separate bowl and then put a spoonful in the bottom of the muffin tin (being sure to grease it first). and then putting a dollop of batter on top.)

Estimated Nutritional Value (using SparkPeople Recipes) per serving (serving=1 slice of coffeecake based on 8 slices in one coffeecake):
Calories: 270, Total Fat: 4.2g, Cholesterol: 53 mg, Sodium: 557mg, Carbs: 55g, Fiber: 1.6g, Sugars: 35g, Protein: 5g



CHICKEN SALAD


My family all like tuna salad and egg salad, so it seemed only fitting that they would love chicken salad too.  One day, back in early January, when my husband and I were on the fairly restrictive phase of South Beach diet (ie - no flour/sugar/starchy products), my husband came home and whipped up some VERY tasty chicken salad.  I've since replicated it a few times, adding in a few of my own additions (of course!).  I didn't get a picture of it taken because it all was gobbled up before I thought about it!  We served this with whole wheat pitas, and it was very tasty that way, but it could be easily eaten on a bun, bread, or on its own (no bread).  Eaten with crackers would be good too.

3 c. diced chicken (usually I cook up chicken breasts myself and dice them, though this last time I bought pre-cooked chicken cubes in the freezer aisle and it made prep that much quicker.)
1 c. light mayo
3 celery stalks, diced
1/2 of a medium red onion, finely diced
1/4 c. parmesan cheese

Throw all of the above ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.  Serve. Easy Peasy.


Estimated Nutritional Value (using SparkPeople Recipes) per serving (serving=1/2 cup, based on 4 cups in the recipe total):
Calories: 216.8, Total Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 64 mg, Sodium: 368mg, Carbs: 4g, Fiber: .4g, Sugars: 1.3g, Protein: 22g


DEVILED EGGS 



I used this recipe.  It cuts out 1/2 of the yolks and replaces them with bread crumbs to lessen the nutritional impact of all those yolks.  My modifications to the recipe:  I didn't have dijon mustard, so I used dry mustard (about 1 teaspoon) and it worked good.   I also didn't use the scallions.  Wish I had though, I had them, was just too lazy to chop them.  But they would've been good in there.


Nutritional Values (according to the site - for 1 deviled egg):
Calories: 44, Total Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 107 mg, Carbs: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Sodium: 69 mg, Protein: 3g.



So I rate it a SUCCESS for our Brunchie Munchies!  If I chose 1 slice of coffeecake, one serving of chicken salad and a deviled egg, calorie totals come in just over 500 at 527 calories and total fat of under 20g...not bad for breakfast and lunch together!  Add some fruit to round out the meal with low calories and no fat.

What are your healthy brunch recipes?  Link them up over here at Real Fat!

2 comments:

  1. That Coffeecake looks so good! I'm definitely going to make it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--that sounds like an amazing meal! Wish I was coming over:)

    Thanks for sharing!

    Keelie

    ReplyDelete