Saturday, March 13, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

So "they" say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day...sets your day up nutritionally from the get-go.  So I've been developing a repertoire of my favorite breakfasts as I've been on my healthy living life change journey!  So here are my faves to date:

  • Steel-cut oatmeal:  I typically will make up a large batch of 6-7 servings on the weekend and then put them into individual serving size baggies.  Some I'll freeze and others I'll put in the fridge if I know I'll use them in the following few days.  My all-time favorite additions to my oatmeal are 2 T. unsweetened applesauce, dash of cinnamon and a dash of vanilla.  Seriously this tastes like apple pie.  For real.  try it!
  • Protein Pancakes:  Wish I could take credit for these, but I can't.  Learned about them from Cheryl @ Losing My Behind.  Recipe can be found HERE.  I've tried them chocolate flavored and vanilla flavored with frozen blueberries added in for some extra antioxident punch.  YUM!  Even my very picky 5 year old will pack away 3 or more of these pancakes for b-fast!  And they do the trick, keeping our bodies fueled well all the way until lunch!
  • Breakfast Pizza:  Can't remember where I heard this idea, but the premise isn't original either.  To make a breakfast pizza, I take one half of a whole grain English Muffin (1/2 a sandwich thin would work too), toast it and lightly butter it.  Then I add one slice of Canadian bacon (circular), and an over-medium egg (though eggs done nearly any way - over easy, fried, poached, scrambled, etc - would work).  I top with a little cheese and sometimes some salsa.  Simple but great tasting and easy to eat.  Full of protein and complex carbs too.  Yum. 

  • Blueberry Coffeecake:  Okay, I have actually only made this once.  For brunch company we had last week - remember?  But it was SO good and healthified that it has made it onto our breakfast rotation list.  This will probably only show up on a weekend or when we have company, but it will still make an appearance.  Link to the recipe can be found HERE.
Quick standbys that don't involve cooking?  I love Kashi cereals, low/no sugar yogurt with a touch of fruit and granola mixed in,  fruit and a 1/2 slice of English muffin, an egg with 2 slice Canadian or turkey bacon, etc.  A cup of authentic Colombian coffee with a couple teaspoons of sugar-free vanilla syrup and 1/4 c. skim milk is a welcome addition most mornings too.

These breakfast options have been working great for me so far, and have held up to the test of providing tasty, healthy and long-lasting breakfast power for my busy days!

Help me add to my repertoire...what is YOUR favorite breakfast these days?

4 comments:

  1. I love and get through the morning with no hunger on a egg white omelet, with mushrooms and spinach. The days I opt for something else, I'm hungry by mid-morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your breakfast ideas!! I'm stuck in a "banana/english muffin" rut right now - eating on the way to work. Although, I have found some GREAT cereal and I have that once or twice a week! Oh, and yogurt with granola. Yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do love breakfast...your ideas (even the 'rut' of banana & english muffin) sound GREAT! Speaking of which, I gotta get my menu plan together for next week...I know I won't be lacking for breakfast ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great options--thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete