Friday, March 19, 2010

"Apple Pie" Oatmeal and Other Goodies...

We all know that oatmeal is a super good breakfast, right?  I've always liked oatmeal...it's just that the way that I'd eat in *my previous life* was to load it up with milk, butter, sugar, brown sugar and spices.  Super yummy, but not so much healthy.


So now that I'm eating to better fuel my body (and help shed those pounds!), I have been exploring new ways to eat oatmeal that keeps me satisfied and gets my metabolism revved up for the day.

I tried Peanut Butter & Honey oatmeal I saw on a blog somewhere (I am so sorry if that was you, I would have linked to you, but I just can't remember!).  I like PB.  I like honey.  But I DO NOT like them mixed with oatmeal.

I tried it with cut up fresh fruit or dried fruit.  Okay, but kinda bland.

I tried it with various flavors of yogurt mixed in.  Again, okay, but it kinda weirded me out.  I still get weirded out by yogurt.  I think it's the whole 'live bacteria' thing.  I'll get over it...someday.

I did NOT try the mashed up banana recipes many of you have raved about.  I'm sure they are good.  But I cannot handle bananas.  It's a texture thing and kinda a flavor thing.  I'm weird like that.


But one morning it just came to me!  What about mixing these things together:  oatmeal, unsweetened apples, chopped pecans, a little cinnamon, some sweetener and a teeny dash of vanilla.  Voila!   And for reals...it tastes like apple pie.  Sometimes I throw in some chopped apples for good measure!

So here's the 'recipe' if you like exact science (though I don't think I've ever made this by using actual measuring utensils.  More like eyeballing these type of measurements:



1/2 c. dry oats (this I do measure...it can be steel cut oats or quick oats) - prepared according to package instructions
**once the oatmeal has been cooked, add the following...
1/4 to 1/2 c. of unsweetened applesauce
1 or 2 tsp. of chopped pecans (or nut of your choice...or skip this part, it'll still be good!)
a small amount of sweetener if desired (ie - stevia, sucanat, agave syrup, etc.) - this is optional
sprinkle of cinnamon (according to your tastes)
teeny tiny dash of vanilla extract. 


Mix it all together and enjoy!  Complex carbs, protein, fiber and roughly 250-300 calories for your breakfast...and tasty to boot! 


Let me know if you give it a try and what you think!  

8 comments:

  1. I just bought some unsweetened apple sauce,so I think I'll try it! I hate the texture and taste of bananas too...hate hate hate. I wrote a fav foods post a little while back and people really stuck up for the yellow fruit. The banana has a lot of supporters, so I'm glad they gross someone else out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks SO good! I'm definitely going to have to try it this weekend!

    I personally love bananas. But I do like the idea of chunks of granny smith apples in there. (It's the only way I can eat them. Too sour otherwise.)
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...I'm going to try that. I like oatmeal okay, but never so much as baked oatmeal with eggs, oil, sugar and various and sundry other unhealthy things. ;-) This sounds like it might be a tasty, healthy alternative. Thanks for sharing!

    I need to go post about my newly discovered favorite breakfast food. You wouldn't like it though; it involves yogurt. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmm, nummers!!!

    This is soooo one of my favorite ways to eat my yummy bowl of warm and tastey goodness each morning!! Oh yes!

    We have another one that we call Peanut butter Cookie oatmeal ;)

    So fun!! Thanks for sharing, chicka!! Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I firmly believe there will be peanut butter in heaven...I tried it once in my oatmeal and swore I could see the pearly gates out my window! I'm also a banana lover and I love cinnamon and apples. Come to think of it, the only thing I don't like is fish...but that's for another day.

    Nuts and apples and cinnamon and sweetness, oh and oatmeal...what a power breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I've been trying to think of different breakfasts so I don't fall into a rut of eating the same 2 things every morning. This looks great! I'm almost tempted to have it for dinner tonight :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good stuff (I'm a little biased...) After you all try it, let me know your feedback!

    @Amy - though my experience of PB mixed with oatmeal was not good, I'm intrigued at your PB Cookie Oatmeal...perhaps it is b/c it contains the word 'cookie' :)

    @Cheryl - good thing you love oatmeal, b/c you now have a lot of oatmeal variations! Don't worry about not liking fish...that wouldn't be good in oatmeal anyway... ;)

    In defense of bananas...I DO love banana bread. But that's it. No actual bananas and don't try to get me to eat bananas by putting them in jell-o. It won't work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! THis sounds great. I have a hard time with the texture of oatmeal. i have tried many different things with it but never this. I will give it a shot cause it sounds delish.

    Thanks!
    Keelie

    ReplyDelete