Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Whole Lotta Randomness...

Okay, this post is gonna have a lot of randomness...I can just feel it!

First off, I always like to check in on the "Do or Do Not Challenge" that Kris @ Eclipsed hosts for us "losers" (ha ha!) every week.  Hard to believe it is already Week 5 of the Challenge!  Here is what the "Do or Do Not Challenge" inspired us to focus on this week...


1 - Change your Cardio Routine for 2 weeks:  Evidence shows that changing up your cardio routine helps spur on further fat last and help us bust through plateau's.  I do feel somewhat limited in my exercise options b/c I can't afford a gym membership and the weather here in MN is such that it is not friendly towards exercising outdoors this time of year.  BUT I still get 30-60+ minutes of exercise a day...mostly from workout videos and/or Wii programs.  Right now I usually do a 30 minute DVD workout every day and a 30 minute Wii program workout.  The workouts on both differ and vary from day to day, so I'm not doing the exact same workout every day.  I also alternate my walking direction every morning during my walks with the dog.  But those aren't much of a variation.  So last week I added in the Biggest Loser "Last Chance Workout" DVD on Sundays for a workout punch and I've been feeling the urge to turn my morning walk into a morning jog.  Should I try it tomorrow?  I think I will...and I'll report back how it goes.  I honestly haven't been jogging outside for at least 4 years!


2 - Find two or three healthy breakfasts that fit your lifestyle:  This is easy, simply because I love breakfast so much!  My staple breakfasts so far have been:  1 - oatmeal (steel cut or rolled) with milk, apples &/or pecans.  Tried it today with PB, and liked it at first, but by the bottom of the bowl I wasn't so much of a fan.  2 - Eggs and Bacon with whole grain toast.  I love to cook up an over-medium egg, put it on a half slice of whole grain toast with some shredded cheddar to melt on top and two strips of turkey bacon.  YUM!  I only have this on mornings when I actually cook breakfast - usually a couple times a week.  My quickest breakfast option is 3 - Whole Grain Cereal.  My faves are Multi-Grain Cheerios and Kashi Cinnamon Harvest.  I would like to make my own granola too - an adventure for another day!

ANOTHER COUPLE HEALTHY LIVING RECIPES COMIN' RIGHT UP!

 

WAY YUMMY BROILED SALMON 

This is what we had for dinner Tuesday night.  I like easy preparation meals...and this one was definitely easy!  I kinda made it up as I went along, but it turned out well!  Here's what I did:

8 Salmon Fillets
1/4 c. EVOO
Favorite Spices
(I used garlic powder, onion powder & black pepper)
Cooking spray

Turn on the oven broiler to heat up for about 10 minutes.  Using your broiler pan, spray the pan with cooking spray to avoid sticking.  Place the salmon fillets on the broiler pan.  Mix the olive oil (EVOO) with spices in a small bowl.  Using a basting brush, spread the EVOO & spices mixture onto the tops of the salmon.  Put into the oven to broil for 10 minutes (oven temps could vary, so check back after 5 and 7 mins).  The salmon should cook up nice and golden with some crispy edges.  Take out after 10 minutes and turn over the fillets.  Baste the opposite side with the remaining EVOO & spices mixture, and put back into the oven to broil on that side for 6-7 minutes. 
Take out and voila - you're done!  Tasty healthy dinner for the whole fam!
(We served it with veggies and a couple Triscuits with Laughing Cow cheese on the side)

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



EASY PEASY "TACO-ISH" SNACKS! 
Last night I was hungry and needed a snack that would be tasty, but low in fat and not too high in calories either.  So after scouring the cupboards and fridge, I came up with this.

15 Multi-Grain Thin Crackers (mine came from Sam's Club)
4T of Salsa
1-2T of shredded cheddar cheese

Arrange the crackers on a plate, put a small dollop of salsa on top, with a light sprinkle of shredded cheddar on top of that.  Pop in the microwave for 20 seconds.  Done!  Yum!


I've decided to post my Before & (hopefully soon-to-follow) After photos on here.  I didn't even take one until about 2 weeks into my journey, but I will post it on here along with measurements (which I haven't even taken yet!) because I think both are great markers of progress, even though they might be a bit embarrasing at first!  I told myself I'd be 'no-holds barred' with this blog...no more "faking it"...I'm gonna be MAKING IT!  :)  

So stay tuned for some embarrassing pics tomorrow...ha ha!



5 comments:

  1. We had salmon this week for the first time. It was really good. Go for the jog! I keep trying to get myself to jog, but it hurts my shins so bad. I'm going to get there, though. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! I felt that urge a couple weeks ago and I went for it. I am now running 1.2 miles and adding.1 mile each week. Everytime I do it I think I will die but when I am done I feel so great!

    Thanks for the easy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gals! I woke up this morning to stress and low motivation (see my newest post)...but I'm starting to see the sun behind the clouds (figuratively speaking...since it is cloudy & snowing outside at the moment...). Maybe I'll get out for that first jog yet today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard that! Switching up your workout keeps your body guessing, and therefore keeps ya in the burn.. woo hoo!

    Mmmmm, I love love breakfast too!! Fave!

    Thanks for sharing the recipes.... very yum!!

    Have a beautiful day! Amy

    ReplyDelete