Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cheesy Turkey Burgers + Cauliflower Smash Recipes!

I promised these recipes earlier!  Unfortunately I we devoured the food before I thought, "I should take a picture of this!"  Next time...

Anyway, I've been trying to be creative with the food we have, and making healthy but tasty food for me & the hubs as we work to lose weight AND for our entire family as a whole. 



So last night I came up with Cheesy Turkey Burgers and Cauliflower Smash...again, based loosely on some previous experience making both turkey burgers and mashed cauliflower in the past from varying recipes.  The Cauliflower Smash was inspired a bit by an Irish dish known as 'Colcannon' which is basically mashed potatoes mixed with bacon and cabbage.  Here is what I did last night, and this is original (for me anyway!)

Cheesy Turkey Burgers

1.5 lb. ground turkey
Garlic Powder to taste
Onion Powder to taste
Black Pepper to taste
Paprika to taste
1/4 finely diced onion
2 cloves garlic
3 triangles of Laughing Cow Cheese (any flavor)
1 egg

Place ground turkey in a mixing bowl.  Add spices as desired, then diced onion.  Use a garlic press to mince the garlic cloves and add.  Add one egg (we added the whole egg, but if you are watching your cholesterol it'd probably work fine to use just the egg white.).  Add 3 triangles of Laughing Cow cheese (any flavor).  Then mix thoroughly.  I find that it works best to mix this together by using your hands.  Just wash 'em first and take off your rings and then mix it up!

Form medium sized patties and pan-cook over medium heat, allowing burger to cook for several minutes on each side.  If desired you can add a 1/2 piece of sliced cheese (cheddar, swiss, provolone, etc) on the top of the burger too. 

Then serve up with whichever garnishments you choose!  We turned it into a BLT burger with no bun, but with a crunchy piece of turkey burger on top.  Totally yummy!



Cauliflower Smash

1 head of cauliflower
2-3 slices of crispy cooked turkey bacon
1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2T. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spread
Milk (optional...we did not use)
Black Pepper & other spices (optional)

Cut the cauliflower off the head and steam thoroughly until very soft.  Transfer cauliflower to a mixing bowl and mash thoroughly using a masher or a fork.  Then add crumbled crispy bacon, butter, shredded cheddar and spices (as desired).  Add a small amount of skim milk if needed to thin out the cauliflower mash (note-we did not need to add any milk).  Season with salt & pepper and other spices as desired.  Serve up hot!  Not quite the same as mashed potatoes, but definitely the best cauliflower I've ever had!

And of course, the true test is the reaction of the kiddos!  The older two said it was "very good", but the little one (5 years old) screamed and cried after bite #1...so she was not a fan!  But maybe in time...

I definitely recommend this meal for a healthy eats menu!  Let me know if you decide to try it out!

3 comments:

  1. mmmmm, looks delish! I love using ground turkey!

    Thankyou for sharing the recipe!

    Hugs.. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to trying the cheesy turkey burgers. Do you know how many calories they are? They sound super tasty. I have done the cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy & Heidi! Hope you girls try it out someday!

    Heidi, good question about the calories...based on adding the calories in the ingredients and then dividing it by how many burgers I made, I came up with 100 calories per small-ish to medium sized turkey burger. We added a cheddar cheese slice on top of ours that would account for about 60 more calories. So it is really calorie light for a very good turkey burger!

    ReplyDelete